Texas Democrats push bills to raise state minimum wage
- HB 937 proposes to increase the hourly minimum wage in Texas from $7.25 to $10.10 over five years.
- Several other bills have been filed to devolve minimum wage management to local governments or increase the minimum wage to $15, in line with some of the more ambitious proposals across the nation.
- The minimum wage was last changed statewide in 2009, though recent polls indicate that more than half of Texans support raising it.
- “Texas Democrats Push For At Least $10.10 Minimum Wage” (The Texas Observer | January 2017)
- “Texas Legislator Leading Effort to Raise Minimum Wage” (KGNS | January 2017)
- “Texas Labor Federation Fighting for Statewide Minimum Wage Increase” (Spectrum News | January 2017)
Minimum Wage Workers in Texas — 2015 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)