New House bill looks to establish near-absolute ban on abortion in Texas
- HB 948 (a.k.a. the Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act) would criminalize abortion in all cases except for pregnancies that endanger the life of the mother.
- The proposed bill would remove exemptions in the state penal code that protect women and abortion providers from felony homicide charges.
- Legal experts view the bill, filed by Rep. Tony Tinderholt, as unconstitutional, though some anti-choice advocates seek the law’s passage in order to force appeals through to the U.S. Supreme Court to challenge Roe v. Wade.
- “New Bill Aims to Make Abortion a Felony in Texas” (The Texas Observer | January 2017)
- “Texas Lawmaker Wants to Make Abortion Completely Illegal” (The Austin Chronicle | January 2017)
- “Arlington State Representative Files Bill To Ban Abortions In Texas” (CBS DFW | January 2017)