Anti-trans “bathroom bill” officially filed
- Senate Bill 6 (a.k.a. the “Texas Privacy Act”) will force trans and intersex individuals to use the bathrooms associated with their “biological sex” when in government buildings, public universities, and public schools.
- Sponsored by Sen. Lois Kolkhorst, the bill defines “biological sex” as “the physical condition of being male or female, which is stated on a person ’s birth certificate,” which, in additional to being unreflective of scientific reality, discriminates against intersex and other non-cisgender communities.
- The bill also pre-empts local nondiscrimination ordinances from providing local protections and subjects violating institutions to financial penalty, though it exempts private entities leasing public buildings such as stadiums, convention centers, and entertainment venues.
- “Following North Carolina’s lead, Texas GOP unveils so-called ‘bathroom bill’” (The Texas Tribune | January 2017)
- “Legislators file Texas ‘bathroom bill’” (KVUE | January 2017)
- “Patrick, Kolkhorst unveil controversial ‘bathroom bill’” (The Houston Chronicle | January 2017)
- “Texas Bathroom Bill Battle Officially Begins” (The Austin Chronicle | January 2017)
- “Transgender restroom bill a ‘line in the sand’” (The Fort Worth Star-Telegram | January 2017)
- “Texas’s anti-transgender bathroom bill, explained” (Vox | January 2017)
- “Texas And Kentucky File Bills To Restrict Transgender Bathroom Access” (BuzzFeed News | January 2017)
- “New Texas Bathroom Bill May Spark North Carolina-Like Uproar” (The Associated Press, via ABC News | January 2017)
- “3 more states are proposing ‘bathroom bills’ that critics are calling discriminatory” (Business Insider | January 2017)
- “Republicans in Virginia and Texas may replicate North Carolina’s “bathroom bill” disaster” (Salon | January 2017)
- “Texas bathroom bill on the radar of the NCAA, Big 12” (USA Today | January 2017)
- “With SB6, Texas could lose 2017 Women’s Final Four and 2018 Men’s Final Four” (Outsports | January 2017)
- “Texas Republicans fuel new row with transgender toilet bill” (BBC | January 2017)
- “Texas lawmakers file new anti-transgender bathroom bill” (The International Business Times UK | January 2017)
- “ACLU Will Sue Any State That Challenges Trans Bathroom Policy” (teleSUR English | January 2017)
- “Presentan iniciativa para restringir acceso a baños públicos en Texas” (The Associated Press, via El Diario | January 2017)
All-Texas News | Trans Women (Project Solidaire | December 2016)