New digital TV channel focused on black-centered programming set to launch in Houston
- HTX Digital Channel 43.3 will build a schedule focused on black culture and entertainment.
- Slated programming includes a show called “Soul of the South” and one featuring former Texas Tech basketball coach Chris Walker.
- The new station is set to launch on February 20 and will broadcast to more than 500,000 Houston-area households.
“New Houston TV channel to feature African-American entertainment” (The Houston Chronicle | January 2017)
(Image Credit: Charlie Riedel/Associated Press, via The Houston Chronicle)
Federal judge rules against Pasadena in Latino voting rights case
- Chief U.S. District Judge Lee H. Rosenthal ruled that an electoral change from eight to six voting districts for the Pasadena City Council with the addition of two seats voted on city-wide constituted an unconstitutional weakening of Latino Pasadenans’ voting power.
- The dilution reflects the ethnic segregation of the city, where resources have historically been concentrated in the predominantly white south versus the predominantly Latino north.
- Expected to be appealed to the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the case is seen as a test to the 2013 U.S. Supreme Court decision regarding contemporary enforcement of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 widely viewed as weakening the voting rights of minorities nationwide.
MALDEF v. City of Pasadena
(Image Credit: The Houston Chronicle)