New House report calls for increase in mental health resources across state
- The report by the Texas House Select Committee on Mental Health warned that current resource levels are inadequate to support mental health initiatives across areas like education, healthcare, and criminal justice.
- The cost of the effects of insufficient mental health resources—both financial and human—is expected to climb as the state continues to grow, and the state has begun to focus on behavioral healthcare reform to confront those costs.
- Recommendations include increasing the use of telemedicine, increasing resources to jail diversion programs, rural healthcare reform, increasing the rate of hospital construction, healthcare-practitioner education incentivization, and increasing access to substance abuse counseling and other resources.
Interim Report 2016: A Report to the House of Representatives 85th Texas Legislature
(Image Credit: Marjorie Kamys Cotera/The Texas Tribune)
Planned Parenthood asks court to block exclusion from Medicaid temporarily
- Planned Parenthood requested an injunction or temporary restraining order from U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks to prevent the Texas Health and Human Services Commission from cutting off Medicaid funding to the organization.
- Medicaid funding provided Planned Parenthood with $4.2 million for fiscal year 2015 to support the healthcare and reproductive rights of nearly 11,000 low-income Texan women.
- Officials cited a debunked video by anti-choice activists as reasoning for the exclusion despite multiple investigations having already cleared Planned Parenthood of any wrongdoing and the preexisting prohibition on the use of federal funding for abortion services.
Application and Memorandum of Law in Support Thereof for Temporary Restraining Order and Preliminary Injunction (Planned Parenthood v. Smith)
“Planned Parenthood asks court to block ouster from Texas Medicaid” (The Austin American-Statesman | December 2016)
“Texas officially kicking Planned Parenthood out of Medicaid” (The Texas Tribune | December 2016)
“Texas Makes New Move to Cut Off Planned Parenthood” (NBC News | December 2016)
“Texas Moves To Block Planned Parenthood From Medicaid Funds” (NPR | December 2016)
“Things to Know as Texas Tells Planned Parenthood Cuts Coming” (ABC News/The Associated Press | December 2016)
“One Step Closer: Texas Republicans move to defund Planned Parenthood” (VICE News | December 2016)
Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas
Planned Parenthood South Texas
Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes
(Image Credit: via The Texas Tribune)